Friday, September 13, 2013

My Mum's Hexagons

My Mum was an amazing sewer. She sewed mostly clothes for herself and us kids when we were growing up. In the early 1980's she got involved and did a bit of patchwork and this is one of her projects.
Still unfinished (complete with basting stitches) her gorgeous hexagons were the epitome of style & quilty goodness to me and have always held a special place in my heart. Her handpeiced hexies hang in my studio as a reminder of what it is I love about quilting. I especially love the fabrics she has chosen. Lavender blue was my Mum's favourite colour. Her room was even painted a pale shade of lavender blue.
Last week I showed you the beginning of my handpieced hexagons. Although my colours are a bit different I was surprised when I realised I was using exactly the same size hexies as Mum. Strange since I was given a packet as a gift from a gorgeous friend. 
I am making a cushion for my little Liberty girl cause she really loves all the cushions I have made for her. She rolls around on the floor rubbing her head & face into them. It's so adorable!!
 I have chosen the traditional yellow for the centres just for fun and because I had a small amount of this amazing yellow that I have been saving for oh about 15 years. Bout time I used it I think!!!
 All the fabrics I have used to make the hexagons have a special meaning for me somehow and I've been saving them for the right project. Chive featured above in these fresh, bright colours was Mum's pick for a binding on one of my quilts. ("The Rose Garden" a strippy quilt we have in the shop). I also made Mum a head scarf out of it when she lost her hair during chemo.
 This week my very talented friend Chilli Soul who is 6 came home from school with these amazing pieces of art!!! I absolutely LOVE them! The colours are fantastic!
 I think if Chilli wanted to forge a career in the visual arts she has definitely got a great eye for colour, shape and composition. Well Done Chilli girl! 
 After my Mum passed, I went to her house and when I walked into her wardrobe I found some of her head scarfs that I had made for her to wear when her hair fell out. They were still tied and I could see the impression of her head in each one. It was probably one of the most profoundly sad moments for me but looking back also a really beautiful moment too. I cried & I cried.......
I brought them home and I now have them hanging in my studio cause they really feel like Mum. They are so beautiful, especially the one in the middle with the stylish 1920's ladies. These ladies are the epitome of style and are my mum all over. 
I just love them!