Thursday, December 11, 2014

Christmas Flavours cooking at Materialise

So... I've been a bit slow to start this Christmas, even by my tardy standards! If I'm honest, it just comes around way too quickly for my liking (plus I really just want to sit and hand piece one inch Liberty hexagons...... They are so addictive, I'm completely hooked!) Once I get into the swing of things, I'm brimming with ideas for decor and gifts, however I never seem to have enough time to make them all. 

This year we have loads of Liberty tana lawn to mix with all the Japanese linens....... Heaven!!!!!

I'm a fan of choosing traditional Christmas colours, like green, red, gold and silver, and then adding a highlight colour or two to freshen things up. My highlight colour is usually one that I've been vibing all year, that also looks smashing with my chrissy colours. I think Chrissy colours can be any shade of the classics- such as green and red- which often translate to yellow and grey.

Essentially my colour scope is only limited by my imaginaton. Which means no colour is cast aside. Just the way I like it...
This Christmas the choice has been made for me by my beautiful my two and a half year old daughter Liberty. Yes, you guessed it, it's "Pink"! So I'm embracing the pink challenge, and adding some purples in too. A glorious example of this is the Little linen heart above, with whimsical hand stitching and a uber cute 1/2 inch hexagon....

Stars are always big on my christmas decoration list....
My Hoya flowered for the first time today.... I just adore these little perfect waxy star shaped flowers. These flowers were also a favourite of Mum's too..... I'll be adding more ideas as they come to fruition. Simple, quick, fun and festive.......
 Last year I made Liberty a Hobby Horse for Christmas, I had the best fun making it. The bit I enjoyed the most was the hair! This will never go out of date!
A while ago I started piecing together these hexagons to make a pull on cover for an old foot stool. I finally finished piecing together the top. I am now happy with the colours and will not be unpicking anymore. 

Here is a new selection I started piecing together the other day after a friend generously returned from Japan with an amazing selection of Japanese Liberty in a soft selection of blues, mauves and mossy greens. Christmas is not just about decorating or rushing around the shops... Who doesn't love something handmade!