Thursday, January 21, 2010

House & Garden.... other material matters!



Over the Chrissy & New Year break I got myself enthused to make my garden all pretty. Yay! I've always been a keen gardener, choosing to grow mostly herbs and vegies amongst the flowers in a potager or "Kitchen Garden". I love having fresh ingredients on hand when I cook & they taste sooooo much better.

I grew this yummy beetroot which I used in a roasted beetroot, pumpkin & corn salad.

After many years of careful consideration (3 1/2 to be exact) I decided to build boxes in my backyard so the garden beds are raised & easy for me to tend........

Being a DIY project I set about gathering all the materials I would need for the job.

Lots & lots of bricks

Cement, lime & sand of course......

Here's the first level of the first box..... So Proud!

I've never built a brick wall before so it was really exciting (and surprising) that I actually managed to get it level....

Grow wall grow... One brick at a time....

Soon I'll be all set to grow lots more of these lovely fella's.

Thanks Emily for the box of cool christmas herbs....! As you can see they are lovin' life... As am I